Phone: (970) 531-2525
Fax: (510) 225-3848
1580 Lincoln St.,
Denver, CO 80203
• State Bar of Colorado
Jake Schlesinger represents some of the nation’s largest providers of clean energy and electrification technologies before utility regulators across the Western U.S. As a seasoned regulatory litigator, Mr. Schlesinger assists clients to formulate and execute regulatory strategies in litigated administrative and rulemaking proceedings and through informal negotiation. He advocates on behalf of solar, energy storage, EV charging, energy efficiency, demand response and other clean technology developers. Jake also has extensive experience representing alternative electricity providers in restructured markets, such as community choice aggregators, as well as residential, municipal and large commercial customers.
Jake is passionate about addressing climate change by expanding markets for distributed energy resources (DERs) and fostering innovation and competition in the clean energy sector. He is an expert in areas such as utility DER programming, rate making, resource planning, grid modernization, community solar, distribution interconnection processes and most facets of public utility law and regulation.
Prior to joining Keyes & Fox, Mr. Schlesinger worked at the Colorado Attorney General’s Office representing the interest of residential, small commercial and agricultural consumers of gas and electric utility products. He has also represented independent power producers before both state and federal regulatory bodies.
His experience includes dozens of first chair appearances before Public Utility Commissions in Colorado, California, Minnesota, Nevada and Kansas. Jake works out of the firm’s Denver, CO office.
Recent Representative Work
- Helped to craft and subsequently revise Colorado’s Community Solar Garden, RES compliance, ERP, Interconnection, battery planning and other administrative rules
- Advocated for more modern and progressive rate designs in multiple jurisdictions
- Secured significant community solar market expansions in Colorado
- Expanded access to EV charging infrastructure and commercial rate structures in Colorado, Nevada and California
- Helped expand access to low income energy efficiency funding in Colorado
- Defeated unfair utility production meter requirements in Colorado
- Fend off attacks on net metering policies in multiple jurisdictions
- Secured fair battery interconnection polices in multiple jurisdictions
- Helped CCA customers save millions on unbundled distribution rates in California
- Oberlin College, B.A. 2002; Major in Geology
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, JD, 2009
- Order of St. Ives (top 6%)
- Water Law Review, Staff Editor
- Environmental Law Clinic, Student Attorney
Professional Honors and Activities
- SuperLawyers.com named Mr. Schlesinger a Rising Star in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Attorney General’s Award for Exceptional Performance for work related to smart grid
- AMJUR Awards in law school for highest grade in Administrative and Criminal Law
- Chair of Steering Committee, Colorado Headwaters Solar Coop